My suggestion is allowing people to come to the drop in centre and see what they can achieve. This will allow people from being so isolated. They could see the handiwork that they could do.
I would like to see an on-line forum for computer users in Hackney, that can be accessed by computer users at home.
- This would encourage people to use their computers at home.
- Purchase a computer and broadband to use at home rather go to a centre to use one.
- Encourage 24 hour use of the computer when it is convenient, rather than wait to attend a formal group.
- Extends the length of support that can be given to 7 days a week, by volunteers able to be logged on, when they were available.
- Encourage social cohesion, reduce social isolation and reduce loneliness.
I learn a lot of things here for the past four weeks from Bluebell. However, we need more skilled workers to assist with computers to help then more people will come.
Today I have been learning to use Whatsapp on my phone. I have sent two messages and had a reply.
I have been coming to whitmore drop in centre for nearly a year now, but before I came here. I first went to the lawns in in newington green to join the hackney streamers age uk to learn about computers and lap-tops as a silver surfer.
When the lawns closed down I went to open school east in downham road to continue my classes,then they closed down.but I was told about the whitmore drop in centre.
I really enjoy coming here to continue to learn. All the people who come here are very nice. What is really important to me is that I can send e-mails to my grandchildren and receive e-mails from them and look up on the website.
from a very happy silver surfer
I am using the drop in sessions to help to prepare for essay writing also to find out about tablets I-phones and edu-rom
I come here on Wednesday morning and I learn how to switch onto the computer.also to search for different things also how to send an email and then how to check for a reply.
How to check my email:
Click on Compose.
Then write in the email address in To.
Add a Subject, for example ‘Check the weather’ or if you are going out ‘Here are the directions’
Write your message and don’t forget to put your name!