I would like to see an on-line forum for computer users in Hackney, that can be accessed by computer users at home.
- This would encourage people to use their computers at home.
- Purchase a computer and broadband to use at home rather go to a centre to use one.
- Encourage 24 hour use of the computer when it is convenient, rather than wait to attend a formal group.
- Extends the length of support that can be given to 7 days a week, by volunteers able to be logged on, when they were available.
- Encourage social cohesion, reduce social isolation and reduce loneliness.
Today I have been learning to use Whatsapp on my phone. I have sent two messages and had a reply.
I have been coming to whitmore drop in centre for nearly a year now, but before I came here. I first went to the lawns in in newington green to join the hackney streamers age uk to learn about computers and lap-tops as a silver surfer.
When the lawns closed down I went to open school east in downham road to continue my classes,then they closed down.but I was told about the whitmore drop in centre.
I really enjoy coming here to continue to learn. All the people who come here are very nice. What is really important to me is that I can send e-mails to my grandchildren and receive e-mails from them and look up on the website.
from a very happy silver surfer
I am using the drop in sessions to help to prepare for essay writing also to find out about tablets I-phones and edu-rom
I come here on Wednesday morning and I learn how to switch onto the computer.also to search for different things also how to send an email and then how to check for a reply.
How to check my email:
Click on Compose.
Then write in the email address in To.
Add a Subject, for example ‘Check the weather’ or if you are going out ‘Here are the directions’
Write your message and don’t forget to put your name!